For me, soup is the best pick me up when it is cold outside. It has the effect of being soothing and reassuring when the gloomy days of fall and winter appear outside my window. Soups replenish moisture which calms the nerves and soothes the mind.
Butternut squash's bright orange color is due to its high content of carotenes which soothes the liver and nourishes dry eyes and skin. It's mild diuretic qualities aid draining excess mucus congestion from the lungs and flush excess water retention from your body.
I love serving soups in bread bowls because they look amazing and you can eat the bowl too!!! You can also serve it in a soup bowl and garnish it with croutons, cucumbers, nuts and herbs!
- 2 Cups Butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 Cup organic raw Cashews
- 3 Cups of water
- 2 tsp ground Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg powder (fresh ground is the best)
- 1 tsp of Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper, fresh ground
- 1 Tbs Ginger root, minced
- a pinch of Cayenne pepper (optional)
- Parsley or Basil for garnish
- 1/2 Cucumber, diced small
- 1/4 Cup Toasted Pinenuts
Place all of the ingredients in a medium pot (except for the garnish), bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
Place the soup into a high speed blender.
Blend the soup until the consistency is creamy.
Serve hot and sprinkle lime juice.
Garnish with herbs, toasted pine nuts and diced cucumbers.