A Galette is a rustic, free-form tart -made with a single crust of pastry or bread dough, like a pizza. If the filling is very moist, the sides of a galette may be folded up and over to contain the juices. Alternatively, the edges may be simply crimped and left rather flat. Although the crusts of most galettes are made with butter this is my Vegan version using refrigerated coconut oil. The cold coconut oil creates pockets of air inside the crust while baking (just like old school butter) making it flaky and reminiscent of puff pastry! The filling is very versatile, you can use different kind of veggies or fruits and it will always be a beautiful dish to impress your guests.
This recipe has a few simple steps: boiling the beets, prepping veggies, making the cashew ricotta, reducing the balsamic vinegar, making the crust, assembling the galette and baking! Read all the instructions first, make mental notes of the steps to follow and get excited because the end result is so worth it!
Preparing the filling:
- 1 Small Beet, boiled whole for 45 min then peeled and sliced in 1/4” rounds
- 5 asparagus, bottom ends trimmed
- 1 Small Cauliflower, cut into small florets
- Italian dried herbs
- 1 Cup cashews, soaked over night or for 1 hour in boiling water
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 Cup water
- Strain the cashews in a colander and rinse under cold water
- Place all ingredients in the food processor and process until smooth and creamy.
Vegan pie crust
- 2 cups (272 g) unbleached all purpose flour or your preferred Gluten free mix
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup (160 g) coconut oil, refrigerated
- 3-6 Tbsp (45-90 ml) ice cold water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Add flour and salt to a large bowl and mix
- Add the refrigerated coconut oil in spoonfuls and with two knives, fork or dough cutter, cut the flour and oil until it resembles wet sand.
- Add ice cold water 1 Tbsp at a time and use a wooden spoon to gently mix. Add only as much water as needed to help it come together and form a dough - about 3-4 Tbsp.
- Use your hands to gently knead/form the dough in the bowl and gather any loose scraps. Form into a disc with your hands.
- Place the disc of dough in between two sheets of parchment paper and gently roll into a large oval (if you don’t have parchment paper lightly flour the top of the dough, as well as a rolling pin) about 1/8-inch thick.
Assembling the Galette:
- Transfer the pastry with the parchment to a rimmed or rimless baking sheet large enough to accommodate the pastry oval comfortably.
- Starting 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the edge of the round, arrange the vegetables in a single layer until you reach the center of the round.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and italian herbs over the veggies.
- Fold the outer edges of the pastry over the veggies, creating overlapping folds as you work around the perimeter.
- Add dollops of the cashew cheese on top of the veggies
- Bake the Galette for 30 minutes or until the edges are golden.
- 1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- Place the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan and cook over medium low heat until the vinegar has reduced to at least half of the originalamount (about 30 minutes for 1 cup of vinegar to reduce to 1/2 cup)
- As soon as the balsamic reduction reaches the consistency and concentration level that you prefer, remove it from the heat, and let it cool down. Drizzle over the galette right before serving.
- If you want to garnish the galette add some arugula and basil leaves!